Aftermath:
What Gang Violence Leaves Behind
Written By
Adele Morris-Robinson
Produced by
Latoya Wilson
Directed by
Adele Morris-Robinson & Katie Allen
Filmed by
Tinashe Mwandi
Scene 1 EXT.
Glenwood Gardens- Night- 22.00
Detective Graham and Inspector Hanson pull up
to a house in Glenwood Gardens.
Both approach the door silently. Inspector
Hanson puts on his hat. DC Graham fixes his jacket. They ring the doorbell. The
door opens and they enter.
The camera slowly pulls away everything
starts to blur. There is silence, then a scream. Fade to black.
Scene 2: Presenter Introduction
Losing any family member is hard, but when
you lose a child it could seem like the whole world has just crashed around
you.
Gang violence has claimed over 148 teenage lives since 2005 in London alone.
And it is a problem that still exists in the West Midlands. As a mother of three young boys, I can’t even
begin to imagine what my life would be like if I ever lost a child in such a
violent way.
I am Davida Wilkins and I want to take a deeper
look into gang violence and the effects that it has on families in the city of Wolverhampton.
Join me on my quest to find out what course of action, if any? Has been put in
place to ensure the safety of gang member’s families and what are people doing
to tackle the unspoken crisis of gang violence.
First, I begin my journey with PC Brown from
West Midlands Police Department. He should give some insight into his
experiences with gangs from a police perspective.
Scene 3 - Insert interview 1
Micheal Brown- Police officer
Scene 4
- INT. Glenwood Gardens- Day-
08.30
Alicia lay down in the bed looking very tired and
depressed staring at the clock, her mom enters the room with a cup of tea and a
slice of toast.
CAROLINE
Here's some
tea and toast you need to eat something and start getting ready the car will be
here in an hour.
Alicia doesn't respond and continues to stare at the
clock. Caroline leaves the room. Alicia continues to stare and then glances
over at the clock it is now 08:45 she gets up and heads towards the bathroom.
Meanwhile downstairs Caroline is talking on the phone to Selvin, Alicia's dad.
CAROLINE
If you saw
her, she didn't even blink she was just staring at the clock, I just don’t know
what to do.
SELVIN
She will be
fine we got to stay strong for her, you know it vexes me that such a thing has
to happen to my daughter, we told her many times about the company Anton was in
and she didn't want to hear it. She is stubborn just like her mom.
CAROLINE
Ay cheeky, well
I’m going now the car should be here in 15 minutes let me go see if she has even
made an attempt to get ready. I will see you at the church.
Caroline goes to head upstairs but see’s Alicia in the
front room. Her face drops.
CAROLINE
OMG Alicia
Alicia is standing in the mirror looking spaced out
applying eyeliner not only to her eyes but drawing all over her face.
The words of
Detective Graham and Inspector Hanson echo.
Alicia Fuller. I’m afraid I have some very bad news
to tell you, your partner Anton Miller and son Anton Miller Junior were
involved in a drive by shooting in which both were shot and killed.
I’m sorry for your loss.
Fade to black
Scene 5 - Presenter
(Talks
directly to camera)
After talking to PC Brown when he said the
bit about funerals, it had me thinking about a number of things that families
have to face after losing a loved one. How are you supposed to get on with life?
Is there any support for these people that have perhaps lost a child or a partner?
I have decided to visit to a bereavement centre. It would be very interesting to find out
how they actually deal with clients who have experienced loss. I will be
meeting with Janice Green, a counsellor at the centre.
Scene 6 - Insert Interview 2
Mrs Janice Green – Counsellor
Scene 7
- INT. Bleechums Community Centre
- Day- 15:00
2 months later.
SHADEA SIMMONS
Thank you for
today ladies! See you next week; Alicia could I have a quick word?
Alicia walks over to Shadea. Caroline enters
the room.
SHADEA
SIMMONS
Alicia I’m
very worried about you, it’s been over a month and you haven't even said a
word. I’m here to help you not to judge.
Alicia stares and Shadea with a blank
expression.
SHADEA
SIMMONS
Go on your
mum is waiting for you at the back.
Alicia walks away and towards her mom.
CAROLINE
Here are the
keys I'm just going to have a quick word with the lady.
Alicia takes the car keys and heads towards
the car. Caroline walks over to Shadea.
CAROLINE
Excuse me, hi
there, my name is Caroline Fuller I'm Alicia's mom.
SHADEA
SIMMONS
Hi I’m Shadea
I’m glad you came over to talk to me because I’m worried about Alicia.
CAROLINE
You and me
both, I just don't know what to do she doesn't talk, she barely even eats it’s
like she doesn't want to move on.
SHADEA
SIMMONS
I don’t think
the problem is she doesn’t want to I think it’s she doesn’t know how to. Now
during these sessions Alicia doesn’t even speak and doesn’t interact with the
other ladies and if this continues she is not going to do herself any favours.
CAROLINE
I’m all out
of ideas I’m scared it’s going to get to the point where she might take her own
life.
SHADEA
SIMMONS
Ok well it’s
not going to come to that, what Alicia has been through is not easy for anyone
let alone a 23 year old she is young, give me your number leave it me I'm not
going to give up.
CAROLINE
Thank you,
thank you so much
SHADEA
SIMMONS
This is what I’m
here to do and you shouldn’t give up either.
Fade to black.
Scene 8 - Presenter
People join gangs for a number of reasons – be
it money, respect or girls. Many people witness the effects of gangs and the violence
they commit, but I want to gain a better understanding of what it is like to be
in a gang. I’m on my way to visit Dion. Dion was involved in a gang but has now
made his way out and given his life to Christ.
Scene 9 – Insert Interview 3
Dion - former gang member
(Possibly insert some stills of Dion
preaching at church or acting in his plays)
Presenter asks the question - Is it right to
say that having someone to guide you in the right direction is important?
Scene 10 -Presenter
Taking away what Dion had said about having
support. I’m meeting with Jo Jackson, an influential member of the community that
works boys who have been in gangs.
Scene 11 - Insert Interview 4
Jo Jackson - works with gangs
Scene 12 – Presenter
Scene 12 – Presenter
Jo has invited me to a Guns and Gangs conference
held by Wolverhampton Citizens for Change; an organization that he is the Chairperson
for. Today I should find out more about what the community is going to help
stop this crisis.
Insert scenes from the conference with
possible interviews from willing participants.
Presenter comments on the day
Scene 13 - Various shots of Shadea and Caroline working and
trying to help Alicia
Scene
14 - INT. Bleechum community
centre-Day-15:00
SHADEA
SIMMONS
Before we
conclude today’s session does anyone have anything they want to say.
ALICIA
Can I speak
please?
The whole class turns around and looks at Alicia. Shadea smiles
SHADEA
SHADEA
Of course you
can
Alicia walks up to the podium. Caroline walks
in.
ALICIA
Hi everyone,
my name is Alicia Fuller and I am 23 years old. 6 months ago my boyfriend Anton
Miller and my 2 year old son AJ were murdered. Anton was part of a gang you may
off heard of them the BC Crew, it wasn’t my plan to bring home any member of
any crew home to my parents and say hey this is my boyfriend, but that’s what
happened and I don’t regret it. Regardless of the things he had done I loved
him so much, I guess the saying is true you live by the gun you die by the gun.
It’s just a shame that my son had to go the same way. For 6 months I have been
trying to work out in my head why such a thing would happen to me and what I
did to deserve it. I came to the conclusion God wouldn’t give me anything, I
couldn’t handle and that’s what I am doing now, handling it. One thing these
gang bangers don't realise is the effects their actions have on their loved ones and innocent
people sometimes do get caught in the cross fire. But I believe in the power of God and I'm going to
do everything in my power to try and help the young people and I hope that in
the future I hope that I will have more kids, a boy especially so that he may
grow up and make a difference in these young men’s life. I want to thank my mom
and Shadea for never giving up on me and I won't let them down. Thank you.
During the speech – images of Detective Graham and
Inspector Hanson consoling Alicia, images of Alicia crying and looking at the
picture of Anton and her son, images of Caroline consoling her. Images of
Alicia cuddling AJ’s favourite teddy bear and Anton’s shirt and Images and her
walking to counselling and her recovery will be shown.
A thunder of applauses commences. Caroline
smiles and wipes away tears. Shadea smiles and Alicia smiles, fade to black.
Black screen saying (the events shown in this drama are real but have been dramatized purely for entertainment purposes).
Fade to Black
Scene
15 - Presenter
When I first
started out this journey I was keen to find out the effects gun and knife crime
has on families. But instead I ended up coming away with a lot more. I met
people that have really helped me understand more about gang culture and that
it is something that may never go away. People join gangs for many reasons,
three being money, respect and a sense of belonging to a family. But as I have
shown today, gang violence destroys lives and tears families apart.
No comments:
Post a Comment